Archive vehicles so they don't count against your max fleet size

Allow for the archiving of vehicles to have them no longer “active”. Keep all historical information for company or legal compliance purposes. Compliance options should include at least two types of options: discretionary and mandatory. Mandatory may not have any purge duration associated and would override the discretionary period. Mandatory may be the result of litigation, for example. Discretionary may have an automated retention/removal period assigned (years, months, days, never). Discretionary may be the result of laws concerning vehicle maintenance record retention beyond the physical existence of the vehicle or equipment.

I like this idea. I have mentioned something like this before to RTA. I would like for the record to not be included in the vehicle count and therefore not take up a record. This would allow fleets to keep records numbers down lowering overall cost. But would allow access to a read only archive file for retention compliance.

1 Like

There could be a separate facility that is only an archive. That way when a vehicle has been replaced the new vehicle will have a slot open for use. Great idea.

1 Like

So in looking at this we have a few options. In order to be revenue neutral for us, especially as we move to SaaS, I’ve got a few ideas to help manage this. Let me know which option you like below.

• Pay per named user, rather than by vehicle, so I can have as many vehicles as I want.
  • Pay the normal $15/vehicle for active units, and a discounted rate ($5-7) for archive units.
  • Pay more ($20-30) for active units, and $0 for archive units.

0 voters

Thanks for your help with this, as we have been discussing this very topic internally for several months.

@jstone, @amawilso, @angie.davis , @tshackelford, @mitchell, @Nathanyal, @GO_RTA, @clenz, @CBurse @welsh

Would you be able to delete archive units when you didn’t need them anymore and not get charged for archive slots not open? Great discussion topic for CAB!

2 Likes

Yeah, just like you can now with active units. If you delete it, it goes away, and a license is now available for another unit.

1 Like

Don’t forget to vote on the issue in the top left if you like it!

1 Like

How would the pricing options presented translate to the SaaS pricing model?

is there a difference, in theory, between a vehicle license that was purchased prior to SaaS and a vehicle that was added after moving to SaaS? Or am i not understanding the pricing of SaaS? Must we buy a vehicle license and then pay a monthly fee?

I have just under 3k vehicles in RTA with roughly half active. It is rare that we need to access those inactive vehicles. Given the one time cost as part of putting the vehicle in service keeping them indefinitely was a non issue.

Now moving to SaaS 1500 active SaaS vehicles doubles my annual cost from current, add in my inactive 1500 vehicles and my annual fee increases nearly 4x.

I know and support that RTA needs to increase our annual maintenance fee to support all of the new development and I understand that the move to SaaS likely brings additional cost and with it program enhancements so i accept that my annual fee will increase - somewhat.

For discussion purposes I think something in the under .10c an archive vehicle license per month is more palatable.

I agree with Ron, the vehicles that are in archive are rarely accessed once they’ve been moved to the archive facility. The records retention requirements require that we keep vehicle records 3-5 years (pending type of vehicle). If the archived vehicle is accessed for anything its typically to either run a report based on the vehicle make/model or to check a note. But its not common to even do that once it’s archived.
As much as $1/vehicle would be acceptable to me as they’re reason for not being deleted is records requirements.

2 Likes

Right now we move vehicles to facility 999 when they are to be disposed of. After vehicles are sold, the records are deleted. RTA does keep backup data even on deleted vehicles. If the vehicle number is reinstated, some of the historical data returns. Vehicle numbers must then always be unique; numbers can’t be “recycled” for this to work. Seems like Josh is working on some good ideas and I look forward to his result.

Thanks to all your feedback this feature is now done! Vehicle archives are now available at no additional charge to our Software as a Service customers.

4 Likes