How do you normally perform inventory?

We are developing some new features around inventory, and want to know more about how you manage your inventory.

Some things we’re curious about:

• When do you count your parts?
  • Do you count your parts all at the same time, or do cycle counts? Or both?
  • How often do you count all of your parts?
  • How often do you do cycle counts?
  • How do you decide which parts to count in a cycle? Do you go bin by bin, or do you go by usage?
  • Are you using multiple stocking areas?
  • If you have a part in multiple stocking areas, do you check all stocking areas at the same time, or just count each area as you come across it?
  • Do you use the Inventory sheet in RTA? Do you include the barcode on the sheet?
  • What do you wish worked better about inventory in RTA? - These answers will be added as feedback items in the Product Feedback category.
1 Like

•How do you decide which parts to count in a cycle? Do you go bin by bin, or do you go by usage?

Bin by Bin, using a bin location system. Parts count sheet guides the count progress.

•Are you using multiple stocking areas?

Yes for some items such as shelf and bulk stock, or stock room and shop floor.

•If you have a part in multiple stocking areas, do you check all stocking areas at the same time, or just count each area as you come across it?

All stocking areas checked at same time so all locations get included in the stock order and replenished.

•Do you use the Inventory sheet in RTA? Do you include the barcode on the sheet?

Inventory sheet yes, barcode sheet no. Inventory sheet is quirky; the count blank lines are aligned differently depending on whether I chose stocking area A or ALL areas on the count sheet. Area A alignment is good, ALL alignment is poor.

•What do you wish worked better about inventory in RTA?

It actually works pretty well. A better display of 12-period sales would be nice rather than the two-row export generated now. Maybe the new F1 search and related features (once fixed) will add power here. Changeover to outsourced parts means less use of the Parts module but I still do use it for the knowledge base at very least.

• These answers will be added as feedback items in the Product Feedback category.

There is no Product Feedback category at this time. Perhaps it’s planned for near future. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. :cow2:

Last day of June
Yes
Yes
No

•When do you count your parts? Weekly

•Do you count your parts all at the same time, or do cycle counts? Or both? Cycle Count Weekly and Annual Inventory

•How often do you count all of your parts? Annually

•How often do you do cycle counts? Weekly

•How do you decide which parts to count in a cycle? Do you go bin by bin, or do you go by usage? By Bin location

•Are you using multiple stocking areas? Yes

•If you have a part in multiple stocking areas, do you check all stocking areas at the same time, or just count each area as you come across it? We count each area by itself

•Do you use the Inventory sheet in RTA? Do you include the barcode on the sheet? Yes and not always on the barcode

•What do you wish worked better about inventory in RTA? - These answers will be added as feedback items in the Product Feedback category. Biggest issue we have with 2 stock areas. they are at 2 different locations but under one facility. We would like to run the inventory sheet by location and or by stock area. You cant run it by stock area B or stock C area only. This is big problem for us.

1 Like

When do you count your parts?
_We perform our main Inventory the first week of the New Year
Do you count your parts all at the same time, or do cycle counts? Or both?
We do quarterly cycle counts and full inventory the first week of the New year.
How often do you count all of your parts?
Once a year
How often do you do cycle counts?
2nd through 4th quarters
How do you decide which parts to count in a cycle? Do you go bin by bin, or do you go by usage?
We do our cycle counts in thirds. We break ours out by up stairs, down stairs, misc / untagged items.
Are you using multiple stocking areas?
We are now starting multiple stocking areas meaning Fleet and Facilities
If you have a part in multiple stocking areas, do you check all stocking areas at the same time, or just count each area as you come across it?
At this time we do not have same parts in different areas. When we do come across this we will treat it as different Inventories.
Do you use the Inventory sheet in RTA? Do you include the barcode on the sheet?
We use both. The last couple of years we have transitioned to tricorders. We have taken barcoded labels and stuck them to magnets which are attached to the shelves. 4 years ago it took 2 people 2 weeks to complete inventory. Last January it to 5 people 6 hours to complete an inventory of 6K+ parts on 3 tricorders. There are a few items that we haven’t barcoded yet which we use the inventory sheet but we are approximately 95% barcoded.
What do you wish worked better about inventory in RTA? - These answers will be added as feedback items in the Product Feedback category.
If we could open up the inventory into excel quicker, that would be nice.
Be able to sort out parts in the inventory prior to printing out inventory sheet such as non stock parts and cores, expendable items. That would save time and paper.
Looking in the distant future, being able to link up with our accounting software.

One of our devs had an interesting idea around “inventory sessions”. Would it be helpful to be able to identify a list of parts, whether all parts, or a subset of parts, that you want to count during a session, then track your progress through the session (eg be able to see that you’ve counted 5 of 10 parts for the session)? This would help you know when you are “done” with inventory, and that everything in RTA has been verified.

I think there is a lot of room for improvement on the inventory sheet, but this might even make that irrelevant.

2 Likes

When do you count your parts? Weekly

Do you count your parts all at the same time, or do cycle counts? Or both? Individual bin locations daily, weekly as time allows.

How often do you count all of your parts? Complete physical close to end of Fiscal

How often do you do cycle counts? Daily, weekly.

How do you decide which parts to count in a cycle? Do you go bin by bin, or do you go by usage? Try to go Bin - Bin. Time driven sometimes.

Are you using multiple stocking areas? Not for same facility. Each facility has it’s own inventory counts.

If you have a part in multiple stocking areas, do you check all stocking areas at the same time, or just count each area as you come across it?

Do you use the Inventory sheet in RTA? Do you include the barcode on the sheet? Inventory Sheets. No to Barcodes.

What do you wish worked better about inventory in RTA? - These answers will be added as feedback items in the Product Feedback category. Would like ability to date stamp Perpetual (individual) inventories.

When you say date stamp perpetual inventories, what do you mean? Schedule them? Or be able to pull up a historical report of what happened during a past inventory session? Or something else?

Hi Josh.

It’s been awhile since I’ve read the TriCoder manual ( I do not use the TriCoder for inventory).
If memory serves me correct, the TriCoder stamps your inventory when downloaded, i.e.; date and time of part being inventoried.

I have been asked in the recent past from an auditor to show when my fiscal inventory was done last.
I do Perpetual inventories all year, with a goal of counting complete inventory every 45- 60 days (roughly 5-6 bins a week as time permits).
I also do an end of year fiscal inventory for state audit purpose.
It would be nice if I could show the auditors a date/time stamp on the part, at least after fiscal.

Would be fun to be able to update it during the year as I complete Perpetual’ s also.

It’s been a few years since I’ve run a Reynolds & Reynolds or ADP system but if I remember , at the end of the inventory process (yearly), it stamped the part with a Last Counted tag.

Thanks for listening,
Bill

1. We do a spot count every month and do two full inventory counts twice a year.
  2. We do both.
  3. Twice a year.
  4. Every month.
    5 We count 4 to 5 sections a month and we start with the sections that have the most traffic. Then go into a rotation from there.
  5. No. Don’t have a current need for it.
  6. We don’t normally have the same part in multiple locations but when we do we would count them all at the same time.
  7. Yes we print the count sheets with barcodes. We count and write in the info, then when the section is complete we scan it in from the count sheet.
  8. Need to build into the inventory reports a " high moving parts" report.
    Need to add the ability to run a usage report by not just the primary part number but also by vendor part number or the option to run it by multiple part numbers for the same part from site to site.
    Need the ability to sort the “Usage by WO” by vmrs.

For the high moving parts, something like this: Categorize parts based off turnover ratio, use for cycle counts