RTA Feedback

On-time PM performance - How are you doing it?

I was visiting with a client a few weeks ago, and one of their biggest challenges is getting the vehicles in on time for PMs.

It made me curious about who is having good success with this, and what tips do you have for others?

I’ve heard of shutting off fuel, which is effective, but usually causes political fall out for emergency response vehicles.

What other ideas does the group have?

We have a system that is mainly used by dispatch for our trucks where we are able to go in and make a truck “Inactive”, thus unable to dispatch. There can be blowback on this if we are running short on spare trucks for the day; so communicating is essential. Sometimes it works to at least get the drivers into the shop and get the PM scheduled even if you let them run for the day. Ultimately, we just try to make it clear that if the drivers don’t schedule their PM’s, the truck will. Something else I do is running a PM list every morning that I format for email with an emphasis on the trucks that are priority; and put that out to dispatch and the shop. Again, good communication of what’s expected. It’s not always perfect, but it helps.

I have every PM due on my calendar that i share with dispatch and when a PM is due I put another bus in its spot and then everyone knows that bus is in the shop. The only problem I have is when we run short of buses and then I have a hard time getting a bus that is due its PM in to get it done on time. It works pretty well though on the most part.