Parts Descriptions

Parts description Line needs to be able to be able to fill in the complete line, right now you can only put in 36 Characters.

One solution that might help: using the notes for expanded description and other info about part. I also put in images for some parts, especially unusual items. The photos are helpful at times to clarify what is needed. The character limit encourages concise descriptions. Longer descriptions might possibly be truncated, thereby causing some confusion, in reports that don’t wrap lines.
TIP: try to avoid most special characters in part numbers or descriptions. Use letters and numerals. Double quote marks (inch symbol) in particular used to cause trouble with columnar data alignment on some reports.

1 Like

More characters! Granted it will bog things down. I’m willing to deal with bog if I get more information displayed. Our tech do a lot w/ RTA and the more info I put in front of them means they have less chance of getting themselves the wrong part.

While it would be nice to have longer descriptions, I believe the current limitation is tied to the number of characters that will print on a standard label.

The statement “Double quote marks (inch symbol) in particular used to cause trouble with columnar data alignment on some reports.” has my name all over it. Would someone tell me more about what it does? Unfortunately I would not be able to tackle that for a looong time. What will I see or not see?

Thanks

When I use to export parts inventory list to a spreadsheet, I noticed that data in some cells was kicked over to the right three columns on some lines. It turns out that the double quote mark is a tab symbol when working with such columnar data. I eliminated all apostrophes, double quote marks, superfluous spaces, slashes, anything other than numbers, letters. (I think a single dash or a comma is okay.) Then my inventory list exports came out clean with no cells dislocated. These special characters might cause similar disruption to data in other reports, especially when exported to Excel. And this is not unique to RTA, fyi.

Remember also: a space is a character in computerland so a space in front of a part number will move that part number to beginning of list; “space” comes before the numbers or letters. Extra spaces could also cause trouble in exported data. And watch out for those commas if you are using a CSV file for export.

To clean up the quote marks, I suppose you could export your inventory list, do a “find and replace all” in Excel, replace the quote marks with nothing (not a space), then import the cleaned data file back into RTA.

1 Like