Parts Supersession Enhancement

Clients would like to be able to keep a record of parts they’ve used using the original part #, but reflect that that part number has been superseded to a new part.

Some ideas would be to add a toggle switch to the part, with a field that I can specify a superseding part #. Bonus if I’d be able to click that record and go to that part.

I probably wouldn’t need to reorder more of the old part, so disabling and unchecking the reorder box would keep it from showing up on requisitions automatically. Question for clients: Would I still want to allow superseded parts in POs to be ordered manually?

I would still probably have stock on the shelf, so I’d need to allow you to post those parts to a work order.

Are there any other things you’d need to track, or other rules we’d need to add for superseded parts?

So the toggle switch is a unique angle. Most of the time just a straight supersession would be adequate. Automatically adding the old number to the vendor list would enable you to type original part number in and immediately see new number and history. If all histories combined (purchases and sales) you could always open the P/O’s up and view vendor part numbers. As far as stock on the shelf, I usually just retag the part with new part number and sell it under new number. It’s all about retaining the history when you merge or supersede two or more part numbers.

2 Likes

I think that’s the trick missing with the merge, is retaining the original posted part number, while respecting the relationship to the new part number.

Have you ever had a warranty get kicked back because the paperwork listed the new part # instead of the old superseded #? I know Alan and @lwerts have come across this during implementation once or twice.

I am aware of the scenario and it can get complicated. That’s why I’d like to see the superseded (old) part number show up in the vendor list automatically. I currently use the MANUFACTURER column and enter OLD# when I manually supersede numbers. That generally prompts me to look closer if I have a warranty question and as I said - the purchase order history should show the original number purchased if the Vendor Xref was used. If it’s actually a warranty consideration, you’d generally have an idea of the age of the part and be able to narrow your search down to see what was actually purchased.

think of it this way. I’ll pick on GM or Chrysler. Part #'s 12345678 and 4567890
are both live part #'s in their system. 12345678 gets superseded to 12345678AA, then 12345678AB, 12345678AC, 12345678AD (and so on:)). Then, said manufacturer decides to supersede 12345678AD to 4567890 because they now realize 4567890 is a better part and has been all along!! Ok, I regress to my dealer aggravation days. The part number is superseded and history is retained under new part number for all supersessions. some systems will actually print a supersession history if prompted.

1 Like

So maybe storing the historical part # at the transaction level like we do with the vendor xref could help solve that issue.

2 Likes

I ran into this with Caterpillar parts. They are always superseding part numbers. So one part could be xref to multiple numbers.