Upstream PM Drift

We would like to see a way for RTA to compensate for PMs done Early. To be in compliance, some companies complete PM’s early. This adjusts the interval for that one PM. Then the next one will come due sooner/on the next interval. The way that some customers would like to use this would be to adjust the “Upstream” PMs according to when the “Downstream” PMs were actually completed.

For example, PM-A is due at 6,000 and PM-B is due at 12,000. If they do the PM-A early by 300 miles, they would like RTA to adjust the PM-B down by 300 miles to maintain the interval distance between those PMs of 6,000.

We could potentially use the Nesting feature to know which PMs to update.

We would like it to work that way. great idea.

I agree. We have a narrow window to perform PM’s in. Due to our contractual agreements and bus availability we have a +/- window to perform PM’s in. If we only do them late it cuts our window in half and causes a logistical nightmare when it comes to scheduling. In a nut shell. We will receive a fine from our client if we are 500 miles past due. There for we have to preform PM’s a little early to ensure we are in compliance. This is causing our PM’s to be out of sync.

I think most public transit operations would like it to operate this way. I would think everyone would. Lets say you bought a new car and the PM schedule was every 3000 miles. Your first PM you couldn’t get the car in until 3500 miles. You’re not going to take it in for it’s second service at 6000. You’re going to wait until 6500. It only makes since. I don’t know who wouldn’t want to track it this way.

1 Like

I wrote up a draft of this years ago, called it PM Tethering or something.

We had a question on whether you would want all PMs to behave this way in your system (a global setting), or if you would want to set it/override it at a PM by PM level (a global setting that can be turned off for a single PM)?

1 Like

I fully agree and all PMs need to behave in this way. It will help Transit Agencies to better manage their PM compliance and save money over time by not overdoing PMs.

All PMs should behave this way. This would improve PM scheduling and compliance when dealing with tight PM windows and fleets with small spare ratios.

Great, love the idea. I would have it selected pm by pm since we use 5 different types. By the time you get to the 5th one, the mileage might be way off and it would have to be fixed.

Doing a PM early can be regarded as money wasted. Many fleet managers set a threshold on early, on-time and late PMs completed and benchmark the results to drive continuous improvement. Industry accepted benchmarks are no more than 5-8% early, 90+ on-time and zero late. A late PM increased the propensity of an unplanned breakdown.

1 Like

Like the flexibility of an override at a PM by PM. As well as the ability to turn on and off. The different PM requirements of Fleets. With all the diversified different types of fleets flexibility is needed.